Wednesday 9 February 2011

pan-fried cod with creamy new potatoes and courgettes

Due to varying reasons - drunk, watching Miss Marple, watching Glee, constructing Milo's new bed from flatpack - I'm a bit behind with both the updates *and* replying to the comments. However I've made a mental note, so don't despair!

Tonight we're going for our second experimental fish dish of the week, although this is more out of necessity than (my) choice. We were going to have Simon Rimmer's White Chilli, and in fact I'd already chopped the onion, before Ana discovered the fish was out of date on Monday, so pan-fried cod it is:


Other than the fact the fish sticks to the bottom of the pan, so it doesn't quite look like the picture in the magazine, and we use creme fraiche rather than cream, it is particularly easy and tasty. Deffo a keeper, although I might season the fish more next time.

Interestingly (for those who like to keep tabs on what recipes come from what copy of Delicious - I suspect that's just you and me Brenda), this is eighth or ninth recipe from last June's copy: Seared steak with white bean and watercress, yoghurt and harissa chicken and rice, pancetta-wrapped salmon with griddled asparagus, Mediterranean halloumi salad, rainbow tortilla, roasted peppers with herb cous cous, spiced cauliflower curry with red pepper and this. Best. Issue. Ever? Discuss.

Food of the Milos
Technically it's a Julia day but her daughter is puking, so Ana has to take the day off work to mum it up with him.
Breakfast: Chocolate porridge with half a banana in;
Lunch: Rice cake and a humzinger on the way back from Nursery, then apple whilst Ana cooked his lunch - cheesey pasta and broccoli, with two yoghurts;
Dinner: More humzingers at the park, dried apricots, sausages, asparagus (which he doesn't like), broccoli and cherry tomatoes, and two mini milks. It does sound odd, but we're using up veg. And sausages.

sources
pan-fried cod with creamy new potatoes and courgettes - Delicious, June 2010, p24

2 comments:

  1. I am so crap at my resolutions, I keep meaning to cook more interesting foods for the girls, but I think its the heat.. seriously, who wants to eat anything hot when its 40 degrees? Luckily its cooled down now so I am embarking on a baking mission, mini-savour muffins and mini-quiche... all lunch box specials. Did I tell you about the time I bought Stella and Amy some cheese twistie crisps and myself a packet of very spicy thai sweet chilli and Stella refused to eat the cheese ones and instead ate my WHOLE BAG of thai chilli crisps? She has a palate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the now well worn 'June 2010' Delicious. I made the mediterranean salad this evening in fact. I hadn't made it before and it is a bloody ace dish. Makes a huge change from the usual 'salad bag' salad. I am going to give the cod a whirl this week too so I will let you know how it turns out! I think there are a couple of November issues that are used time and time again too (they probably feature pies)

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo