Sunday 14 November 2010

sweet potato & halloumi casserole - recipe

I realised the other day, whilst I was looking back to see the last time we'd had sweet potato and halloumi casserole, that I'd cruelly and meanly ignored Bryony's request for the recipe. I have no excuse, apologias Bryony, I hope it's better late than never...

Sweet Potato & Halloumi Casserole
Serves 4
Olive oil
10 shallots, peeled and halved
1 red pepper, sliced
1 leek, sliced
30 cherry tomatoes
10 green olives
1 pack of halloumi, thickly cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, cubed
10 new potatoes, halved
150-200ml veg stock
1-2 tablespoons of pesto
2 chopped chillis

1. Preheat the oven to 200C;
2. In an ovenproof casserole, fry the onion, leek and pepper until just soft;
3. Add the tomatoes, olives, halloumi and potatoes, pour over the stock and stir in the pesto and chilli;
4. Put in oven and cook for 40 minutes, serve with rice or crusty bread.

I tend to use whatever veg is around really, i've done it with carrots and the other night when I left out potatoes I replaced them with butternut squash. I think because the pesto, olives and halloumi have such strong flavours, you've got some scope to go a bit experimental.

enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. ok so mine is cooking in the oven as I type, I didn't have leaks but had some celery, was all out of cherry tomatos so added a handful of sundried instead. I left out the chilli in the anticipation that the girls might try some. Will let you know how it turns out! (oh and no crusty bread or rice, cous-cous instead?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Ana's point of view, the leeks are purely optional as they go slightly soggy. Going by Geri Halliwell's patented "add a word, take a third" school of writing, this is virtually your own recipe - you should write a book!

    Brilliantly also, having trawled back and discovered Bryony asked for it in January, I managed to miss your request whilst I was writing it up. Curse this internet!

    Mediterranean Salad to follow, I *promise*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious, Ron brought some crusty turkish bread on the way home and the aforementioned cherry tomatoes but it was too late IMO to add them. I sprinkled some chilli flakes over the top and we both enjoyed it. Very strange eating braised cheese though, chewy and melty all at the same time. My sweet potato maintained some structural integrity as well which was good. As for dinner tonight. No bloody idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Braised cheese is weird. I've learned to my cost you need to chop it quite thickly otherwise it does sort of disappear, but good addition of chilli. We tend to drop chilli now on the basis Milo has dinner the next day. No chilli, no salt, it's weird.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo