Saturday 31 July 2010

Frankenballs

Things don't get much more filling than a hearty bowl of meatballs and spaghetti, dripping with ragu and stuffed with spinach and parmesan. It's a meal for MEN! However, what if it wasn't filling enough? In fact, what if you wanted to create something so filling you'd never need eat again? Ladies and gentlemen I give you spinach and parmesan meatballs in a sausage and lentil jus - BEHOLD!

spinach and parmesan meatballs in a sausage and lentil ragu
At any minute I expect the unwashed of Barnes to turn up at the door with flaming torches and pitchforks, trying to wrest my creature away from me. I won't let them get you my pretty. Rest now, rest... I have work for you later.

Sadly my first ever contribution to the culinary folklore of this proud nation wasn't planned. Usually when Ana goes away I take the opportunity to clear out the freezer, and it's also a time of experimenting with new dishes.

Today I simply combined the two processes. I found a tub of what I thought was pasta sauce in the freezer but turned out to be left-over lentil and sausage hotpot, sans sausages.

sausage lentil hotpot
I didn't realise until I came to put the meatballs in and by then it was too late. Despite being thinned out with some passata it was still quite thick but surprisingly delicious. I couldn't have any more than one bowl though.

The only other benefit of Ana being away is I get the chance to catch up on the many draft posts cluttering up the blog. So if you're at all interested, here's what I've added:
Enjoy!

sources
I made this although I suppose *technically* it's a combination of Angela Boggiano's meatballs from the December 2007 edition of Delicious, and the hotpot from the Black Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo