Saturday 19 January 2013

hugh's roast pumpkin soup

What's better than a day at work watching it snow outside? Why a whole evening of heavy snow, and the next day being a Saturday of course!

It's the perfect training weekend for Milo, to get him prepared for the holiday of a lifetime chez Hamilton's amazing Harlock Household (get those chicken wings on Hayley!); we go sledging in Richmond Park, we build snowmen, we throw snowballs and we generally arse about. It's aces!

And the best way to warm up? Why with a hearty bowl of Saint Hugh's amazing roast pumpkin soup with a side portion of cheese (and Worcestershire sauce) on toast!


Mmmm, thick, warming, garlicky goodness. Even better (other than the fact there's loads for lunch this week) is the fact Milo decides he doesn't like cheese on toast. Mu-ha-ha-ha!

Wine Time
The keen-eyed will spot I wasn't actually drinking wine with my soup, I had a brewski. Partly this is because I'm not a massive fan of wine and soup; it's the liquid-liquid thing I struggle with, and on reflection I don't actually remember drinking anything whilst eating it.

I suppose if you wanted to try something, I suppose the best thing you can do is go with a trad match of an off-dry Riesling or a Gewurtztraminer, particularly as the soup has a lot of garlic which gives it a bit more sweetness.

sources
pumpkin soup - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, River Cottage Year, p 199

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo