Thursday 6 January 2011

mediterranean halloumi salad & arancini balls

Another day of Nursery/School for Milo and Ana means I've got another day relatively unscathed in my sickbed. Today's highlights include tottering off to the chemist for more drugs, going back to my youth and reading Mr Midshipman Hornblower, and finally pasting the pile of outstanding recipe clippings into various notebooks.

For lunch I decide to use up Milo's leftover risotto and attempt to make arancini, or fried risotto balls if you're not Italian. I found a recipe in Donna Hay ages ago but lacking both mozzarella and a deep-fat fryer, I convert the essence of her recipe into small, red, slightly gooey balls of rice. They were okay to be honest, and beat having soup for three days running.


For dinner Ana welcomes back an old favourite which whilst hardly in keeping with the inclement weather, was at least easy for me to make. You'll not be surprised to note we ate this quite a lot in 2010, 8 times in fact. Note to self, I really must stop or complete 2010's round-up.

Slightly more interestingly I also managed to finally get both plates out at the same time by the simple expedient of using the grill rather than our small pan. I don't know why I didn't think of it before as usually one of has to eat on their own whilst the other is frying cheese.

The tomatoes were too hard though, you really need ripe, vine tomatoes. Nothing else really cuts it.


Food of the Milos
More custard today, at least it wasn't custard. The fish pie wasn't as much as a success as I'd hoped, but he at least ate it with some cajoling from Ana. He's a bit pickly at the moment because although we know he can feed himself, we're going through a phase of having to spoon feed him, which is very vexing.

Breakfast: cheerios, apricots, toast, philadelphia
Lunch: rice with bolognese sauce, veg and custard
Dinner: creamy fish pie and peas

sources
mediterranean halloumi salad - Delicious, June 2010, p24

2 comments:

  1. Am not that fussed about your arancini, they look, rather animal like actually. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this is what he was up to when he was ' sick'!! Hmmmm, I think I'm with you on this one Sarah.
    Ana x

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo