Monday 17 January 2011

bill granger's poached salmon and orzo salad & roasted tomato soup

The New Year is only two weeks-ish old and already I'm fatally behind updating, and Ana's new Bobblehat Blast has only exacerbated the issue. Monday night's used to be my night's to do mass catch ups with the blog whilst she ran around Chiswick, but now she's shifted to the mornings we've hit a laptop stand-off in the evenings.

Given I am so far behind, and it was one of my resolutions to stay-up-to-date with the blog - although you wouldn't know this as I haven't actually written that post yet - tonight I'm going to take a different tack. I'm going to update the newest post first, and then at least one old one until I've caught up with myself without (fingers-crossed) getting any further behind. Well, it might work...

Tonight we're cracking on with the one resolution you do know about, more fish, with a classic Bill Granger salmon and pasta salad. As it's been tipping down today I don't completely refresh the pasta and peas in icy water, and the salmon retains some heat as well, so whilst not warming per se, it's at least nourishing and the heat does impart a modicum of wilting to the spinach:


I think the trick with this dish is to really rack in the black pepper and lemon juice into the dressing, it's a bit bland otherwise.

Whilst the fish is poaching, I also attempt an experimental roasted tomato soup from Delicious. It goes swimmingly, right up until the point I realise I've left the blender in the dishwasher, and I have to wait for an hour to blend it. Pictures tomorrow of that one.

Food of the Milos
After yesterday's Quality Street and Pom Bear-fest on our day trip to see my mum, it's back to reality with a bump for the M Magic although Ana has a surprise up her sleeve for him this afternoon - they make Fairy Cakes!
Breakfast: The usual nibbles, toast and marmelade
Lunch: Giant fish-finger (ask Ana) with alphabetti spaghetti, and two yoghurts
Dinner: Vegetable bolognese with spaghetti

The afternoon was punctured by odd handfuls of apricots, plus strawberries from the fairy cakes and indeed, a couple of fairy cakes. Ana will set up a photoshoot tomorrow so you can see what they made, but essentially they were amazing and a brilliant surprise when I got back home tonight.

sources
poached salmon and orzo salad - Bill Granger, Holiday, p14
roasted tomato soup - Delicious circa 2005/6, now the Parsley Book

4 comments:

  1. I am looking for recipes that use tinned salmon, I know, sacrilege, but here in Oz fresh salmon is crazy expensive and nowhere near as easy to pick up as the buy-one-get-one-free deal I used to enjoy so frequently at Sainsburys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having watched Hugh Flipflop-Wellington's Fish Fight on C4 this week I am vowing to be more 'mindful' about my fish buying (at LEAST for January) as apparently Wild & line caught is the only way to go but the price is obscene! Bugger it, I am sticking to sausages.
    PS RGB, can't you open your dishwasher mid-cycle? you can on most of them and it will either restart when you shut the door again or you just press the 'go' button again and it will carry on from where it left off? maybe? unless you really, really could not be arsed to wash the blender by hand of course....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I think wild and line-caught might be a step too far. I can just about do organic and free range, but wild and line-caught? You might as well be a breatharian...

    Dear Miss White, does tinned salmon taste remarkably different from fresh? Given we're not huge fish fans I not sure I'd know the difference, although I suspect the texture might be more like tinned tuna. This Granger recipe might work, because although you poach the fish, it's all done entirely separately from the orzo, and mixed in at the last minute. Seems can friendly.

    Finally, I couldn't be cracked to open the dishwashwer - it's a woman's job and Ana was watching some tragic documentary about feckless fathers. Oh the irony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, I might be trying this recipe then. Ron has some weird issue about tinned tuna, he says it reminds him of catfood, so I can't make any budget busting tuna casseroles, maybe a tin of salmon might work? I like the idea of this. So, salmon, peas, orzo pasta, baby spinach, lots of lemon and black pepper, anything else I have missed?

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo