Wednesday 19 January 2011

bill granger's miso fish with spring onions & sesame seeds

Sorry sorry, I'm a bit late tonight as I was watching the mighty Gunners put Nasty Leeds to the sword, much to Ana's disgust.

In fact, whilst I was busy missing the first quarter because I was emptying the dishwasher, putting the food bin out and cooking dinner, she was on Facebook claiming I wasn't the perfect husband. I may be having words, particularly as I later had to massage her poor aching muscles from Monday's Bobblehat Blitz. This will be logged for the next Vets match.

Anyway, dinner. This is one of Ana's picks under our new rules of weekly meals (we both choose half each, although you can overrule), and it's one I've been avoiding for a couple of reasons, neither of which are fish-based:
1. Of all Bill Granger's recipe books, Feed Me Now is my least favourite. Having said that we've had a sudden run of decent recipes from it this year - salmon and orzo, and a mushroom risotto - so I'm willing to give it a go;
2. I'm not a massive fan of miso soup. Unfortunately the only miso paste I could find was a miso soup paste mix.

However, I/we are pleasantly surprised by the outcome.


Ana hits the nail on the head, describing it as "worthy" and it is pretty much a plate of virtuousness: grilled fish, steamed pak choi, plain boiled rice. Not only was it very easy and quick to make, the flavour wasn't nearly as powerful as I was expecting, being quite subtle and delicate.

Incidentally Les Bren, totally coincidentally I noticed on the packet Ocado's haddock is line-caught, so extra virtue points all round! I wonder if I can ask them if they were also hand dived..?

Food of the Milos
Even though it's a Julia/Nursery day, we're trying get Milo to eat some breakfast before he goes, which so far has proved a bit difficult. However today we have a minor success, possibly because he's a bit under the weather and sleepy, and he actually eats some of my porridge before we head out into the icy world of SW14.
Breakfast: porridge (here), Weetos, toast and Philadelphia (there);
Lunch: tomato soup, cheese on toast, a pepperami and custard, hopefully not together;
Dinner: pasta and cheese (also at Julia's)

sources
miso fish with spring onions & sesame seeds - Bill Granger, Feed Me Now, p78

1 comment:

Widget_logo