Friday 30 April 2010

tomato, red onion and creme fraiche tart

Recently Ana has been bullying me into actually moving my pile of cut-up Deliciouseseseses (Delici?) from off the top of the drawers in the bedroom, and into the books I brought over a year ago.

It's a good plan if I ever get around to do it, but one immediate benefit of my prevarication has been the rediscovery of a tonne of old recipes, and tonight's is the first off the production line:

tomato, red onion and creme fraiche tart
It looks and indeed tastes, really fresh and herby. The only downside is, for various reasons, we don't eat until gone half ten. This is something Kay and Mike haven't planned on. However given the fact every time they come up we seem to eat closer to midnight, they should've at least prepared themselves with some scotch eggs on the journey up.

Food of the Milos
Post-fruit salad breakfast, Rhyme Time gets a visit from the classic Mummy-Milo tag team, which the smaller member of the gang loves. Having expended his energy dancing like a loon, he re-energises with a hearty lunch of sausages and chips at The Corner Cafe.

Sadly last night's chilli doesn't go down as well, although a combination of ana distracting him, and Kay shoveling it into his gob, gets the job done.

sources
tomato, red onion and creme fraiche tart - Delicious, 2005-2006 sometime...

6 comments:

  1. That looks seriously delicious, did you make the pastry? I am determined to master pastry at some point. Right now I am lazy and use frozen ready rolled which just isn't gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I didn't make the pastry, although as Jamie Oliver says - Life's too short to make pastry. He's right.

    Incidentally I had a right mare blind baking with my baking beads. I might bin them as every time I use them it all goes terribly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mr Oliver - have made it and used frozen and can't tell the bloody difference so why sweat it?! I am now wondering why I randomly bought baking beans the other day????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never blind baked with beads but have used rice and then wondered, what do I do with rice that has been baked? Can it then be cooked as normal and eaten or do I need to keep it in a special jar for the next time I blind bake which has happened about once every four years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yippee I found it! http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/tomato-red-onion-and-creme-fraiche-tart

    Am going to give it a shot. Mrs W, well now I I'll have to google for baked rice and its uses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know, I think you can reuse them - as long as you put baking paper down first, and the rice on top. I think it's the same if you use dried pulses

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo