Thursday 7 October 2010

peter gordon's baked squash with coconut cream, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, chillies and coriander

Wow - Look at these little beauties! Who can resist experimenting when the front of this month's Delicious comes resplendent with four stuffed squash oozing with a Thai-style stuffing? Not me, although it does take three or four days for Ana to forget I've got it planned. Serendipitously we have it whilst Saint Hugh is convincing some firemen to go vegetarian for a week.

peter gordon's baked squash with coconut cream, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, chillies and coriander
As it happens, I used to cook an HFW squash baked with gruyere and cream. Oooh, it was good, although terribly bad for the waistline. Anyhoo this version is infinitely lighter, and the zingy thai flavourings compliment the earthy squash really well.

I could only get small pumpkins this week, but I think Acorn or Onion squash would work much better. Even Ana liked it, and that includes my off-recipe inclusion of spinach. Maybe I'll try some recipes from the Peter Gordon book Brenda lent me now...

Food of the Milos
A glamorous continental breakfast at Julia's today of a chocolate croissant, followed by a hearty sausage, mash and veg for lunch. Crikey, that's two sausage-based meals in two days, he'll turn into one soon. Lucky he had some frozen meatballs and pasta for dinner - phew!

sources
baked squash with coconut cream, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, chillies and coriander - Peter Gordon, Delicious, November 2010, p109

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo