Tuesday 12 July 2011

pan-fried broccoli with chorizo, new potatoes and eggs

With camping's late nights and fires a happy memory, reality bit today as I started my first day at The Vintner at, OMG, 0500!

I'm all for learning the ropes, but a five o'clock start to spend the day shifting what turned out to be 1.5 tonnes of wine and 2 tonnes of water around Oxford's snoozing spires seems a bit beyond the pale. Don't they know I graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A' in typing and mousing? (Page? Page? Page?)

Actually it was a brilliant if thoroughly knackering day, I drove around in a van with a pun on the side to warm the cockles of Dan Watt-Smith's heart:


I read The Sun, talked about the Arsenal, had a snack from a mobile cafe and oi-oi'ed the denizens of Oxon, before collecting the water from Blenheim Palace:


Could this be my perfect job? It's bleeding knackering though.

By the time I get back, I've got just enough energy to go to Waitrose, and then to cook the quickest, simplest dinner my brain is capable of. Lord bless zero chopping, and one pot meals:


It may not look it, but the eggs were the runniest yet, and even better we all ate together before the men-folk took an early night together. Stupidly I then ended up staying up much later than planned, drinking. Will I never learn?

Incidentally, anybody used the search box yet?

sources
pan-fried broccoli with chorizo, new potatoes and eggs - Silvana Franco, Delicious, June 2011, p22

2 comments:

  1. Hurrahhhh! I salute the search box! now I can just type in 'sesame chicken' instead of trawling back to fing the 'recipe' tagword and then trawling through the long list. Thank you!

    Glad work has had a good start - we will call soon for updates on progress and to gather a comprehensive report on luxury wine (which, lets face it, for me is anything other than black tower). hugs all round xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on your first day, love the pun, LOVE IT! Must talk soon, to all of you.... xx

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo