Thursday 25 April 2013

peter gordon's fried halloumi topped with chilli, spinach, water chestnut, hazelnut, orange and sun-blushed tomato salad

After a heady day manny-ing in the sun for Kendra, Finn and Rafe, I return home to discover tonight's dinner is far more experimental than planned.

Admittedly this is a recipe we've had loads before, but the thing is we've given the book back to Brenda, and whilst I could probably guess most of the ingredients from the pictures (it is only a salad after all), I do like the comfort of a recipe. A recipe a certain Mrs Taylor failed to text me in time. I'm looking at you Brenda...

The chances of successfully completing the dish take a further hit when I discover the prime mover for choosing this meal has eaten all but one of the required oranges. Still, with judicious use of extra tomatoes, two sorts of salad leaf and making the dressing with IoW Chilli Rape Seed Oil, we make a pretty good fist of it:


Until Ana points out I've forgotten the dill. And then I spot the jar of hazelnuts I'd put to one side, but forgotten to add. Bugger.

Wine Time
It might the fact it's been lovely weather, but I'm veering towards Prosecco tonight. It's a bit decadent I know, but it's always on offer in the supermarkets so it's only slightly more expensive than usual, and it'll perfectly tame all the big flavours going on in here, and the bubbles will lift the heaviness of the spinach and/or cheese. *Pop!*

sources
fried halloumi topped with chilli, spinach, water chestnut, hazelnut, orange and sun-blushed tomato salad - Peter Gordon, Salads: The New Main Course, p65

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo