Tuesday 2 February 2010

moroccan chicken stew

Another freezing day, albeit without the winter sun, so we go for another warming stew - classic moroccan chicken stew with a twist. The twist is rather than using chicken breast, I use a bunch of chicken thighs so there is enough for the milos to have for dinner tomorrow.

It's an almost unmitigated disaster. Taking it from the top:
1. I didn't realise the thighs had bloody bones in, so half of meat ends up in the bin due to my appalling butchery. I'm going to have to go on that course Lucyfer;
2. Somebody wakes up and demands attention so we end up eating with him running around the place, wanting to be hoicked up the back of the chair onto his "pirate ship" and squawking like a parrot;
3. I don't know why, but the sauce just tasted "yellow" rather than warming and lemony and gingery. Just "yellow" and meeeh.

I can't work it out, I put the usual ingredients in but tonight it just turned into weird slop.

moroccan chicken stew
We're going back to chicken breasts next time, and I'm whacking in more ginger.

Food of the Milos
As if to rub salt into the wounds (although as this happened before I got home I technically didn't know about it), the milo turns his nose up at the Spanish Rice. He requests the fish curry, but gets jacket potato and mango instead.

sources
moroccan chicken stew - Delicious, February 2008, p28

2 comments:

  1. Its so funny that you swear you are going back to breasts because I have only recently turned my back on them and am now a fully converted thigh girl! Mum made sticky chicken with thighs when she was here in April and the flavour was so different and so much better that I haven't bought a breast since. Luckily our local supermarket sells boneless, skinless thighs and they are well prepared, not much fat to cut off. I made the most heavenly lamb and bean casserole in my slow cooker today, will post the recipe on Till We Meat Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I'm pretty 50-50 re breasts and thigh (fnaarrrr!)

    Deffo thighs make better stews and curries, and generally I get the boneless variety - only this time I didn't read the description properly. Doh!

    Lamb & bean sounds good - I might give that a spin next week

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo